Thursday, April 4, 2019

HOME GREEN HOME - A POEM BY A.H. SCOTT




Image may contain: tree, plant, outdoor and nature






Home Green Home


Along that path in the middle of the forest, a tap upon my door came

Slowly, I opened the door and saw only the feet covered in red velvet

I'd seen those shoes before, as I ran from the castle's kitchen door

I wasn't a Princess, but I was the Beast

Never good enough to have eyes upon my being, I came here to my place of peace

Red felt was the color of the kingdom of the King

You said in a gentle voice, "So, there is where you've been?"

I didn't want to avoid the obvious, but of course, I said "Yes"

This is my home green home and it is the best

"Sorry" He said, as he pulled an object from beneath his cape

I didn't want to know what he wanted, for I never believed in fate

"Let me alone" I whispered, wearing rag of rusted color

He handed me a gift, I never thought would be mine

It was a silver framed mirror, which he held up to my face

"I see beauty, not a beast" He smiled with charm to me

I held my head down and gazed at the grass all around

"You are the one who made me smile, my dear one" He added

"I needn't wish for a Prince such as you" I felt a tear roll down my cheek

He saw it too

Hand so soft and tender rubbed it away with a thumb

"God" I thought to myself, "How could I have been so dumb?"

He said a string of words which took my breath away "Lady of the Forest, let me take you away"

I didn't move, but waved him inside

As he did so, he whispered, "So, this is the home of my future bride?"

Girlish giggle I thought I'd lost in days past, suddenly returned very fast

A single candle illuminated the tree trunk

He enjoyed my heart, because I had spunk

We kissed and spoke of things past and present

But, what made us both laugh is what we wanted for our future together

I blew out the candle, and placed the metal holder upon the mantle

He exited first, as I followed behind with trepidation and temptation in my steps

Looking back at my home of green, I saw a sight I never thought I would

Roses and lavender began to bloom

Around that trunk of green and moss covered bark

I chuckled a bit and thought the blossoming was a lark

He wrapped his cape of royal hue around my shoulders

We walked and talked through the forest of green

I have gratitude for that place in the forest, which took care of my heart all those years

Yet, now I have found a man who sees a kind soul beyond those rags of rust

My home green home kept me safe from the slings and arrows of rejection

Alas, the home I found inside of his arms is true perfection


- A.H. Scott

12/2/12




No comments:

Post a Comment