Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Whining V. Winning

Whining V. Winning:

A Musing On Sighing

by

A.H. Scott


As days spin towards November's election, I couldn't resist letting the words flow. Okay, we all know the issues and the candidates. Yet, what I've been wondering to myself and in speaking to others, is one thing - why are the Democrats always on the defense?

And, then it hit me as I've been hearing the chattering classes talk about the Supreme Court decision regarding Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission. Wow, it's remarkable that anyone would actually think that money and politics go hand in hand. Are you kidding me?

Now, corporate power isn't anything new. Yet, the Supreme Court's decision had a way of standing logic on it's head. Then again, this isn't the point of why I am writing this.

Getting back to the defensiveness of the Democrats. To me, it seems that every time there is something that happens in the political sphere; Dems are sent shaking in their boots and quaking in fear of what Republicans might do next.

Oh, come on, give me a break, Democrats. Now, of course, there are the Democrats whose backbones are that of concrete resolution. And, to them, I applaud. But, that fanfare of approval is few and far between.

When the Supreme Court made it's ruling, I was a person who disagreed with it and wished they would have ruled in the opposite direction. Then, I shrugged my shoulders and went on with my life.

Oh, don't get me wrong. It's an important case and it's an important ruling. But, then again, we as the voting public have seen the power of the purse and those of us who don't have the luxury or privilege to be the ones to set the politcal agenda. We can sit and pout or protest and get a sore throat in screaming for vengeance against the corporate machine. But, then we go back to work to pay the rent/mortgage and provide for our families.

Instead of steamrolling back and forth over the ruling, progressives/liberals/Dems should regroup and move forward. Standing stuck in place, will never be a way to stay afloat.

I don't agree with all Supreme Court rulings, including this one. But, then again, there is no recourse beyond the highest court in the land. This is the way they ruled and have been given the flashing green light for corporations to be interwoven into the category of individuals.

Hearing those who proclaim to constantly know what's best for the electorate on television and radio, go on and on about the injustice of the decision; seem to miss the point of what is happening in the present moment.

Right here, right now - the fact is that the decision from the Supreme Court isn't going away. So, those who oppose the ruling better swallow their pride and reposition their political laser in a different direction.

The direction that should be taken at the present time, has to be ceasing the constant whining about not winning that Supreme Court case. But, instead gather up your wallets and checkbooks and begin the unpleasant process of battling the GOP and their supporters on the same ground. Now, the footing might be a battleground that some progressives/liberals/Dems and others of similar political views, feel is beneath them.

But, sometimes it takes a pit bull or junkyard dog to do the job that a poodle or pomeranian can't. Those who are against the ruling should have some backbone. Enough to make sure that they are not always caught on the short end of the stick of justice.

Now, I am not rejoicing for the Supreme Court's ruling in Citizen's United v. Federal Election Commision. Yet, what I see at the heart of this case is one thing - MONEY.. Now, if those who are against the ruling truly want to fight it, then toss your dollars and cents into the political ring.

Otherwise, cease whining and begin winning.

Don't get frustrated, get financial. Don't get bogged down in a super-analytical thesis of the world coming crashing down around us, as the effect of this ruling takes effect. And, don't go on a breathless ride of guilting the voting public in reciting a roll call of American history.

History is in the moment. And, the moment is now. Winning won't come free. Freedom isn't free. But, it won't come to citizens of the United States of America without blood, sweat, tears and bank notes.

The performance of Liza Minelli and Joel Grey express it better than I ever could. Here's a few words of sly wisdom coming from the great musical "Cabaret", written by John Kander and Fred Ebb:

A mark, a yen, a buck or a pound
A buck or a pound, a buck or a pound
Is all that makes the world go round
That clinking, clanking sound
Can make the world go round


Now, whether it's something I adore or abhor, it is a fact of life. And, a reality which isn't going anyway. 

So, I'm just one voice out here in the American political wilderness watching the wheels of life turn the colors of red, white and blue. And, this is my sentiment for a simple day in October.

Okay, now you've read my semi-coherent rant on the issue of whining and winning. And, I know that I'm not the only one in this universe that thinks along this path. Now, it's up to you. Let me know what you think about the state of politics today. Maybe, you'll agree with me. But, I hope not. Life wold be a boring existence if we all only listened to the voices that concur with our way of thinking.

Go for it...

A.H. Scott
October 12th, 2010



Twitter Me

http://twitter.com/ahscottnyc





No comments:

Post a Comment